Vegan lentil moussaka
This Vegan Lentil Moussaka features flavourful lentils, eggplant and is topped with creamy mashed potatoes for some simple healthy comfort food!
Let’s get straight to the point: It’s cold out and all I want to eat is warm and comforting foods. That’s where this vegan lentil moussaka comes in.
This recipe starts off with a base of oven-roasted eggplant, top it with some saucy herby lentils and then top all of it off with some uber creamy mashed potatoes. Like, I can’t even tell you how happy it makes me to eat all these layers together.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Roasting the eggplant is easy, gives this recipe great flavour and ensures the eggplant is fully cooked when assembled.
- The layers of eggplant, lentils and mashed potatoes gives you all your serving of veggies, protein and carbs in each bite for a healthy and balanced meal
- The spices and seasoning give this Moussaka bold rich flavour, so it will be loved by everyone!
How to make a vegan moussaka
Traditionally, moussaka is made by frying up the eggplants, is filled with ground meat, and topped off with a bechamel sauce. The moussaka was doing today is a little bit different.
Making this vegan lentil moussaka is simple.
- Slice the eggplant into rounds and roast in the oven until cooked.
- Make the lentil filling in a pan on the stove with herbs and seasoning.
- Boil potatoes and mash them up.
- Layer the eggplant, lentils and potatoes in a baking dish and bake.
- Optionally broil the moussaka for 60 seconds to get that crispy top!
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- This vegan lentil moussaka can be made with a few different variations. If you really love the taste and texture of a bechamel sauce you can definitely still make one and use it top off the moussaka. I like this recipe for a vegan bechamel.
- Place the moussaka in the oven on broil for one minute before serving so the top gets nice and browned. If you want to broil the moussaka make sure to keep a very close eye on it so it doesn’t burn!
- When preparing the lentils, make sure to give the veggies time to cook down in the pan. This is where all the flavour is built!
- Make this recipe is ramekins for individual mini lentil moussakas.
More vegan main dish recipes to tryPrint
A vegan moussaka made with lentils and topped off with creamy mashed potatoes!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 can of lentils (approx 14oz)
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks (or 3–4 medium potatoes)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- splash of almond milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the eggplant: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the eggplant into slices, about 1cm thick. Line the eggplant on the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until tender.
- Cook the lentils: Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and garlic and let cook for 2 minutes on medium heat. Net add the carrot, celery, bay leaf, thyme and cinnamon and let cook for 5 minutes until the veggies are tender. Add the lentils, crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt and pepper then lower the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Potato layer: boil the potatoes until tender. Drain the water and add the vegan butter, almond milk, salt and pepper. Mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Putting it all together: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Layer the eggplant, lentils and mashed potatoes in a baking dish and bake for 30-45 minutes. Optionally place on broil for 1 minute to brown the top and serve.
If you want to broil the Moussaka make sure to keep a very close eye on it so it doesn’t burn! It will only need 30-60 seconds on broil.
Don’t rush cookies the veggies in the pan for the lentil filling. This is where all the flavour is built!
If you want to make mini lentil moussakas, you can make this recipe in individual ramekins and bake them for 20-25 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 560
- Sugar: 10g
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 60g
- Fiber: 12g
- Protein: 15g
Keywords: lentil moussaka, vegetarian moussaka, vegan moussaka
If you tried this Vegan Lentil Moussaka or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!