Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
This Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole is easy to make and perfect for a holiday dinner! It’s topped off with a delicious crumble topping made from pecans, oats and almond flour for a delicious side dish everyone will love!
A healthy sweet potato casserole
Sweet potato casserole is a classic Thanksgiving side dish. It really is the perfect cozy Fall recipe that can be served along with your Thanksgiving favourites like Vegan Lentil Loaf.
This Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole recipe is super easy to make. The only vegan swap needed for this recipe is replacing butter with vegan butter. The topping is made from a mix of pecans, almond flour, oats, vegan butter and maple syrup for a crumble topping that is healthier than average, but super delicious. (Maple syrup in the topping goes SO well with the sweet potatoes!)
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This sweet potato casserole is of course vegan and can be made gluten-free with gluten-free oats.
- It can be made quickly in a food processor, or in a bowl with a masher.
- This recipe is perfect for a potluck, it’s easier to take on the go and reheats well in the oven, so you can prepare it in advance.
Ingredients in a sweet potato casserole
This recipe doesn’t call for too many ingredients, which makes it easy to make. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- Vegan butter (You can substitute coconut oil if you prefer)
- Almond flour (you can substitute any kind of flour)
- Maple syrup
How to make a sweet potato casserole
Start by preparing the sweet potato filling. Cook the sweet potatoes in the oven or in the microwave, then scoop out the potato and add it to a food processor with some vegan butter, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Puree until smooth. If you like it a little chunky, just pulse it a few times. You can also just use a potato masher and do this step by hand if you prefer.
Spread the mixture into a baking dish. 8×8 inches, 13x8inches, or a round 8-inch dish all work fine. Mix the topping ingredients together together in a bowl using a fork or your fingers, then spread it ontop of the potatoes.
Bake the casserole at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes until the top is golden brown.
Can I substitute squash for sweet potato?
Yes! If you love squash and prefer to use it in this recipe, simply replace the sweet potatoes with one large roasted butternut squash. You can use this guide on how to cook butternut squash to help you prepare the squash for this dish.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Taste the sweet potato before adding it to the baking dish. Some sweet potatoes are sweeter and more flavourful than others, so taste the mashed potato mixture and adjust any seasoning if needed. Some people like adding a bit of maple syrup or brown sugar directly to the potatoes.
- Use your hands to mix the crumble topping together. It’s easier than using a fork to get everything mixed up.
- Don’t use a baking dish that’s too big. You’ll end up with a thin layer of potatoes. This casserole is best with a nice thick layer.
- If your sweet potatoes seem a bit small, use 6-7 potatoes for this recipe.
More sweet potato recipes to tryPrint
This Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole is healthy and topped off with a delicious pecan crumble!
- Bake the sweet potaotes in the oven at 400 degrees F for about 30-40 minutes until tender, or by microwaving them.
- Add the potatoes to a food processor with the vegan butter, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pulse until smooth. (You can alterntively use a bowl and potato masher for this.) Spread the potaoto mixture into a small baking dish, about 8×8 inches.
- To make the pecan topping, mix the almond flour, oats, pecans, maple syrup and vegan butter together in a bowl with your hands or a fork until well combined.
- Crumble ontop of the potatoes, then bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
If you’re poatoes seem a bit small, use 6-7 sweet potatoes.
Some sweet potatoes are sweeter than others, so taste the potato mixture and adjust accordingly before spreading it in the baking dish.
Don’t use a baking dish that is too big, otherwise you’ll end up with a very thin layer of sweet potato.
- Serving Size: 1/8th recipe
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 150mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: healthy sweet potato casserole, vegan sweet potato recipe, vegan thanksgiving side dish
If you tried this Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!