This recipe for vegan bibimbap with sweet and sour sauce is a healthy spin on the classic Korean dish!
So I’m back with another Asian inspired recipe… just can’t help it! Eastern cuisine is just one of my favourites to cook on the regular.
This recipe is a bit different than many of my other Asian inspired recipes though, because this is the very first Korean (inspired) recipe up on the blog! Whenever I go out for Korean food I tend to always order the same thing, a bibimbap. (What can I say, I ‘m a creature of habit!) So naturally it was time for me to recreate my favourite Korean dish in my kitchen.
I wanted to recreate this dish to be as healthy as possible, so I used sprouted brown rice (quinoa would be a great option too!), tons of fresh veggies, and smoked tofu for a protein. These vegan bibimbap with sweet and sour sauce will become a new staple in your kitchen!
- 2 cups sprouted brown rice
- 1 pack beansprouts
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1 cucumber, chopped into matchsticks
- 1 pack smoked tofu (or regular tofu)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 4 cups spinach
- 2 green onions, thinly chopped
- sesame seeds
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Mix all ingredients for pickled cabbage in a bowl. Set aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Chop and prepare your veggies and set them aside on a plate or cutting board.
- Chop the tofu into cubes. Heat avocado oil in a large skillet. Add the tofu on medium-high eat. Cook on each side until brown, about 2 minutes per side. Remove tofu from the pan.
- On medium heat add the spinach to the pan stirring for 1-2 minutes until wilted. Season with salt if desired.
- Mix all sauce ingredients together in a cup.
- To assemble your bowls, place rice on the bottom, followed by the pickled cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts, cucumber, sautéed spinach, and tofu.
- Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds.
- Drizzle sauce on top as desired.