Creamy Matcha Oatmeal
Step up your breakfast game with this Creamy Matcha Oatmeal! Made with rolled oats or quick oats, it’s a filling and nourishing breakfast you’ll love!
Vegan matcha oatmeal
Today I’ve got a warm and cozy breakfast recipe for you. Creamy Matcha Oatmeal made with oats and matcha powder.
I love adding matcha powder to recipes like Matcha Energy Balls and Matcha Pancakes because it’s packed with so many incredible health benefits. If you love drinking a matcha latte in the morning, then you’re going to love this cozy bowl of oatmeal packed with matcha flavour.
For this oatmeal, you can use culinary-grade matcha powder or ceremonial-grade matcha powder. (Ceremonial grade matcha is typically more expensive and is used to make matcha tea, but if this is what you have on hand it will work too in this oatmeal.)
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Packed with matcha flavour. If you’re someone who loves the taste of matcha then this is the breakfast for you!
- Vegan and gluten-free. This matcha oatmeal is vegan, and gluten-free (make sure to use gluten-free oats) and is packed with 5 grams of fibre and 7.5 grams of protein per serving.
- Easy breakfast. If you want a quick and easy breakfast ready in under 10 minutes this is the perfect recipe for you.
Matcha Oatmeal key ingredients
- Oats: for this recipe, you can use quick oats or rolled oats, whichever you prefer. You could also use steel-cut oats, however, just keep in mind if you do the recipe will take about 25 minutes to make.
- Oat milk: I like to use oat milk because it makes very creamy oatmeal, but you can use any type of plant-based milk.
- Matcha powder: if you have culinary-grade matcha on hand, that would be perfect to use in this recipe.
- Maple syrup: to sweeten. You can use any other type of sweetener you like.
- Vanilla extract: just a dash to flavour the oatmeal.
How to make Creamy Matcha Oatmeal
Add the oats and matcha powder to a small pot.
Next add the oat milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract and bring to a light boil on medium heat.
Let the oatmeal cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat until the oatmeal has thickened to your desired texture.
Expert tips for making this recipe
- Quick oats will cook in the least amount of time, while rolled oats may take a few minutes longer to cook.
- If you prefer a runnier oatmeal, add some more water or oat milk as you cook the oats.
- Top this matcha oatmeal with your favourite toppings. I like to eat this oatmeal with bananas, coconut flakes, quinoa puffs, almond butter and a sprinkle of matcha powder.
- If you’d like to make this recipe with steel-cut oats, follow the directions of the container of oats for cooking instructions. Steel cut oats will take much longer to cook.
More oatmeal recipes to try
If you tried these Creamy Matcha Oatmeal or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Creamy Matcha Oatmeal
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: cook
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
A delicious fluffy and creamy oatmeal packed with matcha flavour
- 1/2 cup oats (quick or rolled, gluten-free if needed)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add all the ingredients to a small pot on medium heat and bring to a light boil.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat until the oatmeal has reached your desired consistency.
- Serve in a bowl with your favourite toppings.
Quick oats will give the oatmeal a fluffier texture, and rolled oats will give it a chewier texture.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 270
- Sugar: 14g
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 51g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 7.5g
Keywords: healthy oatmeal, healthy breakfast, matcha oatmeal, vanilla oatmeal
just wondering is it possible to have a cold version of it
Hi Carl! You could make this into overnight oats for a cold version
I like It but i do It w/o cooking just pour hot water trough leave 5 min than add milk
Glad you enjoyed!
Could you make this as overnight oats? Great recipe!
Delicious! I add no flavor collagen & vanilla protein powder in lieu of the extract & it’s delicious & sustaining.
Sounds delicious with those adjustments Maria! Happy you enjoyed the recipe 🙂
I never really rate recipes but this one was excellent! you’re awesome! i’m always trying to find recipes that are just right. healthy, nutrient dense but enjoyable as food should be!
thank you Jessica you’re super talented!
Thanks so much Selah! I’m so happy you liked the recipe!
Yummy. Made mine with coconut-almond milk and sprinkled a little cinnamon on top. So yummy and I’m not much of an oatmeal fan unless it’s in a cookie I unusually drink my match a or mix it in with Greek yogurt & honey.
Hi Monica, thank you for the review. Glad you enjoyed the recipe!
Such a great way to mix matcha with food. I love oatmeal and matcha and this is a perfect on the go meal combination. Healthy and filling, quick and easy to prepare.
Hi Lily, thank you so much! I totally agree it’s so easy to just mix in matcha and it’s so healthy for you! I have some new great recipes featuring matcha coming up so stay tuned!
I am having a little love affair with matcha right now too, the more ways and meals I can work it into my day the better 🙂 That first shot is so perfectly styled and color coordinated, I always forget to really zoom OUT and get those pretty high above shots too!