Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
This Quinoa Breakfast Bowl can be made in just 20 minutes and makes a great healthy and gluten-free breakfast with 7 grams of protein per bowl!
Quinoa for breakfast
You might be wondering, “can I eat quinoa for breakfast?” and the answer is YES!
Quinoa makes an amazing breakfast food. It’s similar to oatmeal but is packed with even more protein and minerals. It also has a very neutral taste, so it will take on the flavour of whatever you add to it.
Is quinoa better than oatmeal?
Oatmeal is higher in calories and carbs than quinoa, and lower in fibre and protein. Nutritionally, it can be argued that quinoa is “better” for you, though I personally don’t think one is necessarily better than the other for breakfast as long as you’re getting all the nutrients you need in a day.
So feel free to enjoy a Quinoa Breakfast Bowl some mornings, and some delicious oatmeal with maple fried bananas the next!
How to make this recipe
This recipe is super simple to make! Cook up the quinoa according to package directions and fluff it up with a fork. Then mix it with some coconut milk, maple syrup and cinnamon.
Add your favourite toppings to the quinoa like bananas, raspberries and shredded coconut.
One thing that is great about a Breakfast Quinoa Bowl is that there are SO many different variations you can make of the recipe. Feel free to play around with it and experiment with different toppings and add-ins.
- Any nuts or seeds like crushed walnuts, pecans, almonds to sunflower seeds
- Nut butters or jams drizzled on top
- Any fruits! (Peaches, berries, stewed apples and mango are good options)
- Chocolate chips
Savoury Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
If you’re more of a savoury breakfast person, you can make a savoury quinoa bowl instead of a sweet version. For a savoury version, instead of coconut milk, cinnamon and maple syrup, try adding in some sautéed garlic, sliced avocado and a fried egg. Top it all off with some hot sauce!
Overnight Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
In a rush in the morning? Make some overnight quinoa! To do this mix 1 cup of cooked quinoa with 1/4 cup of your favourite yogurt, 1/4 cup coconut milk (or any milk), maple syrup and coconut. Mix it all together and let it sit in a jar overnight.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- If you like a mushier porridge texture, you can cook the quinoa in a bit more water. If you like a lighter classic texture, cook the quinoa 1 part quinoa to 2 parts liquid.
- Full-fat coconut milk will give you creamier breakfast quinoa, but you can use any type of milk you like.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week. Reheat on the stove.
More breakfast recipes to try:
If you tried this Breakast Quinoa Bowl or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is a great alternative to oatmeal for a healthy and delicious breakfast!
- sliced bananas
- berries of choice
- coconut flakes
- more maple syrup
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, fluff it up with a fork, then add the coconut milk, cinnamon, maple syrup on medium-low heat and mix together until incorporated.
- Add some of the breakfast quinoa to a bowl and top with sliced bananas, berries, coconut fakes and more maple syrup if you like.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week. Reheat on the stove
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 10g
- Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 7g