These vegan banana bread donuts are light and fluffy and packed with delicious banana flavour. They’re baked rather than fried for a healthier donut and topped off with a delicious chocolate ganache glaze and crushed walnuts!
I always get excited when I have overly ripe bananas in my kitchen because it means I can make some sort of banana baked good! I’ll often whip up a quick batch of banana muffins, or banana bread, but this time I wanted to get use of my donut pan and make some delicious Vegan Banana Bread Donuts!
The batter for these donuts is a little different than a banana bread, which results in a lighter and fluffier baked treat. (whereas actual banana bread is a bit denser.)
These donuts are also topped with a chocolate ganache glaze and crushed walnuts which makes them taste even more amazing!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- These donuts taste like banana bread and go perfectly with the chocolate ganache glaze. Because who doesn’t love the combination of chocolate and banana!
- These donuts are baked rather than fried for a healthier alternative.
- You can mix everything together in just a bowl and use a large zip-lock bag for piping, so you don’t need any fancy equipment.
How to make Vegan Banan Bread Donuts
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl and the wet ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together just until combined.
- Use a piping bag or ziplock with the corner cut out to pipe the donuts into the donut pan and bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Make the chocolate ganache glaze and dunk each donut into the glaze.
- Top with crushed walnuts.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Make sure to use overly ripe bananas in this recipe which will be naturally sweeter in flavour and give these donuts some great banana taste.
- Let the milk and apple cider vinegar sit for 4-5 minutes to turn it into a “buttermilk.” The baking soda will react with this mixture to create light and fluffy donuts.
- Keep an eye on the donuts in the oven! Since they are small they bake rather quickly. If you overbake them they will become dry quickly.
- Don’t forget to spray the donut pan with cooking spray so the donuts don’t stick!
- I use and recommend this donut pan to make this recipe.
More donut recipes to try
If you tried these Vegan Banana Bread Donuts or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Delicious Vegan Banana Bread Donuts topped with a chocolate ganache glaze and chopped walnuts!
- 2 cups flour (sub a 1–1 gluten-free flour if needed)
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup overripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup almond milk+2 tsp apple cider vinegar (mix and let sit for 5 minutes)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup 70% dark chooclate chips
- 2 tbsp refined coconut oil
- crushed walnuts to top (optinal)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl, and the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together just until combined. Don’t overmix the batter
- Spray the donut pan with cooking spray then use a piping bag (or a large ziplock bag with the corner cut out) to pipe the batter into the donut moulds, filling 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- To make the glaze melt the chocolate and coconut oil together in a double broiler, or in the microwave on intervals, mixing it constantly so the chocolate doesn’t burn.
- Let the glaze cool slightly then dunk each donut into the glaze and sprinkle crushed walnuts on top.
Use overly ripe bananas in this recipe for best results and flavour.
We add some apple cider vinergar to the almond milk to turn it into a “buttermilk” which reacts with the baking soda and creates really light and fluffy donuts. You can leave the vinegar out if needed, but the donuts will be slightly denser.
Keep an eye on the donuts in the oven, they cook rather quickly!
- Serving Size: 1 donut
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 13g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: vegan banana bread dessert, vegan donut recipe, banana donuts
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!