These Red Velvet Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting are the perfect decadent treat! These brownies are easy to make and great for Valentine’s day or to make for a fun weekend activity!
This recipe is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill.
With Valentine’s Day coming up I wanted to share Valentine’s inspired recipe that would be fun to make with your family or loved ones to celebrate.
These Red Velvet Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting are not only pretty, but taste light and delicious.
Red velvet is sort of like a cross between chocolate and vanilla. The brownie batter has both vanilla extract and cocoa powder, but much less cocoa than a chocolate cake would have. The taste of the brownie base is much lighter than a traditional brownie, which pairs perfectly with the rich and fluffy cream cheese frosting.
These brownies are made with Bob’s Red Mill Organic All Purpose Flour, which is milled from certified organic hard red wheat. If you have a big sensitivity to gluten, however, I recommend using the gluten-free 1-1 baking flour in this recipe instead of the organic flour.
Ingredients in Red Velvet Brownies
- Butter: This recipe uses melted butter, so you can make these brownies in a mixer or just in a bowl.
- Sugar: An essential ingredient in brownies! This recipe calls for white sugar to help keep the colour of these brownies red.
- Vanilla: Since red velvet brownies don’t have a lot of cocoa powder in them, vanilla is an important ingredient to flavour the brownies.
- Eggs: To bind everything together.
- Red food colouring: This is where the red colour comes from! You can alternatively use dried beetroot powder.
- Vinegar: A traditional ingredient in red velvet that is often used to react with baking soda in cakes. In this recipe, it’s used for that slightly tangy flavour of red velvet.
- Organic flour: This makes the base of the brownies. The recipe doesn’t call for too much flour, otherwise, the brownies won’t be fudgy.
- Cocoa powder: Just 1/4 cup for a hint of cocoa flavour. Too much cocoa powder will make the brownies brown, not red.
- Salt: Just a pinch to balance the flavours!
How to make Red Velvet Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a bowl, and the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together, then pour into an 8×8 inch pan and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Use a stand mixer to whip the frosting ingredients together, then spread the frosting onto the brownies.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Make sure to level the flour so it is measured correctly. Too much flour can make these brownies dry.
- If you want the brownies to be vibrant red, you’ll need to add a lot of food colouring. This is completely optional and just for the look.
- The frosting recipe makes more frosting than you may want for the brownies (depending on how much frosting you like!) If you have leftovers, you can freeze the frosting in a ziplock bag and use it in the future.
More brownie recipes to try
If you tried these Red Velvet Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
These Red Velvet Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting are a decedent treat to die for!
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp red food colouring
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup+2 tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Organic All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Cream cheese frosting
- 2 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature (I use semi-salted)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the melted butter and sugar together in a large bowl or stand mixer until the sugar is well combined. Then add the vanilla, eggs, red food colouring and and vinegar and whisk together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Mix the dry ingredients together, then slowly add to the wet ingredients, mixing until everything is combined.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together in a stand mixture for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar on low speed until combined, then set the mixer on a high speed and whip for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Once the brownies are cooled, spread the icing ontop of the brownies and cut into squares.
. Too much flour can make these brownies dry.
If you want the brownies to be vibrant red, you’ll need to add a lot of food colouring. This is completely optional and just for the look.
The frosting recipe makes more frosting than you may want for the brownies (depending on how much frosting you like!) If you have leftovers, you can freeze the frosting in a ziplock bag and use it in the future.
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 20g
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: valentines day desserts, red velvet brownies, cream cheese brownies
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!