Thrive Market Review 2021
Step aside, boring grocery stores with overpriced specialty items! Thrive Market is an online marketplace stocked with the widest variety of products for every diet or consumer value, all at reasonable price points backed by an ethical business model that makes your heart sing.
What is Thrive Market?
Thrive Market is an online grocery and product marketplace that stocks premium goods at a lower price point than standard grocery stores. They function by cutting out the middle man and connecting the supplier directly to the consumer, keeping prices low and quality assurance high.
If you’re interested in signing up for a Thrive Market membership, click here to join through our affiliate link and get a free gift when you sign up!
We tried out Thrive Market to be able to give you our honest opinion of the company. Their mission is to make healthy living easy and affordable for everyone, and I think they’ve done a fantastic job at doing just that. Overall, we were VERY happy with the results (and love using Thrive market products in Choosing Chia recipes), but let’s break down all the details with our Thrive Market review.
Thrive Market Cost: is it really worth it?
First off, every first-time member of Thrive Market qualifies for a free 30-day trial, absolutely risk-free. You do have to provide credit card info when you sign up so that they can bill you after your free trial has ended. However, if you decide that Thrive Market isn’t for you, it’s easy to cancel your membership before they bill you.
Just like Amazon Prime or Netflix, Thrive Market does have a yearly or monthly membership fee. It’s a convenience service, so this makes sense.
- The monthly membership fee is $9.95
- The yearly membership fee is a one-time payment of $59.95.
- Personally, the yearly membership fits my lifestyle best – I save $59.45 a year compared to the monthly membership, and my membership fee breaks down to only $4.99 a month!
With these memberships, you can order from Thrive Market as often as you’d like, with no frequency limits.
Free Membership Options
Something that I find personally amazing is that Thrive Market offers a free membership application for low-income families and current students, teachers, veterans, and first responders. The program is called “Thrive Gives”, and it’s a one-for-one membership matching program. Every paid membership sponsors a free one for a low-income family.
If you qualify for Thrive Gives, you can apply for a free membership here.
Thrive Market Cost Comparison
By shopping at Thrive Market, you save about 25-50% off of the retail pricing of every item.
My favourite part is that they show you the retail price of the same item that you would be paying for in-store underneath the price you actually pay with Thrive Market. I love looking at the percentages and comparing the prices to what I would be paying otherwise. The higher than “% off”, the more likely I am to add it to my cart.
They also did the math for us and calculated that on average, members save $32 on every order. That means that in just two orders, you’ve already made back your membership fee! (And saved yourself several trips to the grocery store).
Thrive Market’s Product Variety
Thrive Market adds new products weekly from the best brands. Hu Kitchen Chocolate? They’ve got it. Primal Kitchen paleo products? Done. Banza chickpea pasta? Always (and 13% off retail price.)
Their website is also wonderfully organized, and you can sort your selections/shopping options based on your diet preferences, environmental values, or social standards.
Admittedly, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a company organize their products based on “women-owned businesses” or “dolphin safe.” But, if there’s an ethical cause you shop with in the back of your mind, they’ve probably got it covered. I mean seriously, look at this list – I’ve never even considered half of these, but I’ve definitely started since shopping with Thrive Market.
In terms of their product selection, Thrive Market has over 6,000 items to choose from. From food, wine, frozen meals, supplements, beauty products, everything for baby, pet products and food, to home goods and cleaning supplies, they have quite the comprehensive list. And with that, they’ve saved me a lot of trips to Target, which keeps me focused and my wallet happy.
In terms of brands, they have name brands you can find in grocery stores as well as their own Thrive Market Goods brand, which I actually have come to prefer. (Thrive’s coconut oil is so much better!)
Their own brand’s products are typically more budget-friendly but still come with the same great quality. I order things like almond flour, coconut sugar, and gluten-free oats in their brand, and I like it more than what I buy at Costco for more money.
The only thing that Thrive Market does not offer that I wish they did is produce. Fortunately, that’s something I can easily get locally, so it keeps my trips to the grocery store short and focused.
Also, if you’re easily overwhelmed by too many options, you can take a shopping quiz before you sign up for your membership to get your personalized shopping list and product recommendations. They tailor the recommendations to your diet goals, household needs, and give you a list to narrow down your options. How cool is that!
This is where I get excited, because talk. about. convenience. Between drop-down windows with specific diet categories and advanced filters as you search for certain dietary limitations/preferences, it’s incredibly easy to find exactly what you need.
Here are just a few of their health/dietary filters to choose from as you shop:
- Non GMO
- Low FODMAP
- Low sodium
- High fiber
- No antibiotics/synthetic hormones
Can you imagine having an aisle in every grocery store for each of those classifications? Unlikely. I love how easy they make their products to find, and the transparency of each category for those that want it.
Shipping and Packaging
I ordered my Thrive Market box on a Tuesday afternoon, and it was at my door less than 48 hours later.
So yes, you could say they’re efficient! The delivery was smooth, and everything came intact. All of my leakable / meltable products (coconut oil, vanilla extract, and chocolate) came wrapped in extra packaging to protect the box/other products from damage.
Big bonus, all orders over $49+ ship for free. Depending on household size and frequency of shipping, that’s easy to make happen.
An Environmentally Conscious B Corp
Besides the plastic packaging of the products themselves, all other packaging was cardboard with paper stuffing. There’s nothing I hate more than those puffy plastic packing cubes that come in half-empty boxes, and I was very pleased to see that Thrive Market doesn’t use that.
Their warehouses are also zero-waste, and they pride themselves. on their carbon-neutral shipping, which we all love for the environment.
They’re also the first and largest online grocer to become a B corp, which means that the company is legally required to consider the impact of its decisions on the environment, its workers, communities, customers, and suppliers.
Thrive market pros
- Organic products: if you love shopping organic, then Thrive is a great option for you!
- Diet accessibility: you can filter and sort by specific diets, so if you’re gluten-free, vegan, paleo etc. you can easily shop for options that suit your diet.
- Free delivery: who doesn’t love free delivery? Get free delivery with orders of more than $49
- Environmentally friendly: if you care about being eco-friendly, Thrive Market is a great option for you.
- Huge variety of products: this is a huge pro. I find many health stores and online shops to be a bit limited. Thrive Market is a one-stop-shop for everything you need.
Thrive market cons
- No fresh produce: currently they don’t offer fresh produce. Maybe this will be something they’ll offer in the future.
- Does not ship to Canada: Again, hopefully, something that will be available in the future!
My favorite products from Thrive Market
- Is Thrive Market really cheaper? Absolutely. I save on average $60-70 a month on groceries by shopping at Thrive Market, and their convenience makes it so much more worth it to me as well.
- Do they have a good variety of products? Thrive Market has an incredibly variety of products – from gluten-free and organic granola to natural nontoxic baby products, they’ve got you covered.
- Do they do Autoship? Yes, they do! You can set up Autoship for your favourite products (or even the boring ones you just always seem to run out of) on their website or app.
- Do they accept food stamps/EBT? They do not currently accept food stamps/EBT assistance, but they do offer their Thrive Gives program for low income families and those that qualify for food assistance.
- How do I sign up for a membership? Click the link here to sign up for a Thrive Market membership using our affiliate link!
- Can I cancel my Thrive Market Membership? Yup! You can cancel anytime you like.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links for Thrive Market which means I will earn a small commission if you sign up through my link at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products that I personally use, trust and love.