These vegan carrot cake cupcakes with coconut whipped cream are moist and fluffy and loaded with carrots, walnuts and raisins!
I love carrot cake.
Seriously…I mean I REALLY love carrot cake.
It’s one of those treats that whenever I see it on a menu my eyes light up and no matter how full I am, I’m gettin’ me some carrot cake!
With spring well on its way, I think that officially marks carrot cake season. (Though if you ask me, it’s always carrot cake season.)
This recipe for vegan carrot cake cupcakes with coconut whipped creams is my personal favourite recipe on the blog. (I told you, I really love carrot cake…)
These cupcakes are the real deal.
They’re moist, fluffy, soft and loaded with spices, carrots, walnuts and raisins. They really have everything going for them!
And guess what?
They’re actually pretty darn healthy too.
I mean yes, these cupcakes are still a dessert, but they are made with WAY less sugar than a traditional carrot cake, (don’t worry though, they’re still sweet I promise!) and use spelt flour as a healthier alternative to regular wheat flour.
Other than that they’re loaded with carrots, nuts and raisins…which all get a tick for health!
Traditionally carrot cake is topped with a cream cheese frosting, but these ones are topped with something that I think is a little more special: whipped coconut cream.
How to make coconut cream whipped cream
Now, if you’ve never whipped coconut cream before, you’re in for a treat! Did you know you can turn a can of full-fat coconut milk into a creamy and luscious whipped cream?
I was pretty amazed the first time I found out about it.
The secret to whipping coconut cream is to place the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. This allows the thick cream to separate from the liquid in the can, so when you open it, you can scoop out all the solid cream (that’s the good stuff we’re going for!)
Delicious and moist cupcakes that are loaded with carrot, walnuts and raisins!
- 2 cups white spelt flour
- 1/2 cup+2 tbsp cane sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed oil (coconut oil or vegetable oil work too)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
Coconut whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix the spelt flour, cane sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and orange zest together in a bowl
- Next, add the shredded carrots, sunflower seed oil, and applesauce and orange juice and mix until combined.
- Stir in the raisins and walnuts and mix until well combined
- Line a muffin tray with muffin liners, spray with cooking spray and spoon the batter evenly into each one.
- Bake for 23-27 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean
- To make the coconut whipped cream, remove the can from the fridge and scoop out just the cream on top (the cream and liquid will have separated in the fridge)
- Add the vanilla extract and cane sugar and whip on high until smooth and the whipped cream forms soft peaks
- Add the whipped coconut cream to a piping bag and place back in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up while the cupcakes cool.
- Pipe onto the cupcakes.
These cupcakes are just as good on their own with no whipped coconut cream!
Add in any dried fruits, nuts, or even shredded coconut into these cupcakes!
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 593
- Sugar: 15g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 17g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: healthy vegan cupcakes, vegan carrot cake recipe
If you love these vegan carrot cake cucpcakes with coconut whipped cream you’ll also love these vegan apple crumb muffins!
This post contains affiliate links. I only recommend products I know, trust and love!