Vegan Hot Chocolate
This Vegan Hot Chocolate recipe is ready in under 10 minutes and is healthier than your average hot chocolate mix!
A healthy and dairy-free hot chocolate recipe
This Vegan Hot Chocolate recipe is not only dairy-free, (obviously) but is also naturally sweetened with maple syrup and is a healthier alternative to your average hot chocolate or too hot chocolate mixes.
This recipe is also made with 70% dark chocolate, similar to my peppermint hot chocolate, So the hot chocolate is super rich and creamy. All you need to make this recipe is a small pot to mix all the ingredients in!
Ingredients you’ll need
- Light coconut milk: Coconut milk makes a creamy base for the hot chocolate. you can use full-fat coconut milk, but to keep things on the “lighter” side, we’re using light coconut milk.
- Cocoa powder: to mix and add a neutral chocolatey flavour
- 70% dark chocolate: the star ingredient in this recipe! Melting real dark chocolate into this hot chocolate makes all the difference.
- Maple syrup: to sweeten the hot chocolate. Depending on how sweet you like it you can add a bit more or less.
- Salt: just a pinch! this helps to bring out and enhance the flavour of the chocolate
- Vanilla extract: another “secret ingredient” that helps to enhance the flavour of the chocolate.
How to make this recipe
This recipe is SUPER simple to make! You just mix everything together in a small pot on the stove on medium-high heat until it’s all melted together and you’re done! 🙂
You can also make this recipe in a microwave directly in the mugs by dividing the ingredients between two large mugs and placing them in the microwave on 30 second intervals and mixing in between.
How to make vegan hot chocolate mix
If you’d like to make some vegan hot chocolate mix to have on hand that you can just add some hot water or coconut milk too, you can make some by adding 2 part cocoa powder 1/3 part coconut sugar or maple sugar and a pinch of salt. So for example:
1 cup of cocoa powder
1/3 cup coconut sugar
pinch of salt
Recipe variations and substitutions
- Swap coconut milk for oat milk or almond milk
- Swap maple syrup for coconut sugar, agave or stevia
- Swap dark chocolate for dairy-free milk chocolate
- Swap coconut whipped topping for vegan marshmallows
- Add in some peppermint extract for a peppermint hot chocolate
- Add in 1 tsp of pumpkin spice for a pumpkin spice hot chocolate
- Add in a spoon of your favourite liquor for a boozy hot chocolate
- Try adding some adaptogens like ashwagandha or reishi to relax the nervous system
- Add a pinch of cayenne for a spicy hot chocolate
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- The taste of the hot chocolate will depend on the quality of ingredients you use, so opt for good quality coconut milk, chocolate and cocoa powder!
- If you want a really rich and creamy hot chocolate, use full-fat coconut milk
- Taste the hot chocolate mixture before pouring it into the mugs and adjust anything if needed. You may like your hot chocolate a little more sweet, or may even like a little more vanilla!
More warm drinks to try
If you tried this Vegan Hot Chocolate or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This vegan hot chocolate is rich, creamy and is ready in just 10 minutes!
- Add the coconut milk, cocoa powder, dark chocolate, maple syrup, salt and vanilla to a small pot on medium-high heat, whisking constantly until the chocolate is all melted and the mixture is hot.
- Pour the hot chocolate between two mugs and top with coconut whipped cream and more chocolate.
, so opt for good quality coconut milk, chocolate and cocoa powder!
If you want a really rich and creamy hot chocolate, use full-fat coconut milk
Taste the hot chocolate mixture before pouring it into the mugs and adjust anything if needed. You may like your hot chocolate a little more sweet, or may even like a little more vanilla!
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 12g
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: dairy-free hot chocolate, vegan hot chocolate, vegan hot chocolate mix