Vegan Hot Chocolate
This Vegan Hot Chocolate recipe is ready in under 10 minutes and is healthier than your average hot chocolate mix!
A homemade healthy and dairy-free hot chocolate recipe
This Vegan Hot Chocolate recipe is not only dairy-free, (obviously) but is also naturally sweetened with maple syrup and is a healthier alternative to your average hot chocolate or too hot chocolate mixes.
This recipe is also made with 70% dark chocolate, similar to my peppermint hot chocolate, So the hot chocolate is super rich and creamy. All you need to make this recipe is a small pot to mix all the ingredients in!
What is vegan hot chocolate mix made of?
- Light coconut milk: Coconut milk makes a creamy base for the hot chocolate. you can use full-fat coconut milk, but to keep things on the “lighter” side, we’re using light coconut milk.
- Cocoa powder: to mix and add a neutral chocolatey flavour
- 70% dark chocolate: the star ingredient in this recipe! Melting real dark chocolate into this hot chocolate makes all the difference.
- Maple syrup: to sweeten the hot chocolate. Depending on how sweet you like it you can add a bit more or less.
- Salt: just a pinch! this helps to bring out and enhance the flavour of the chocolate
- Vanilla extract: another “secret ingredient” that helps to enhance the flavour of the chocolate.
Which non dairy milk is best for Hot Chocolate?
The best non-dairy milk to use for hot chocolate is coconut milk. Coconut milk has a higher fat content than other types of plant-based milks like almond milk, which gives the hot chocolate a rich and creamy texture. If you use almond milk in this recipe, the hot chocolate will taste a bit watery. Another good option is to use oat milk if you want something lighter than coconut milk.
What’s the best chocolate to use for homemade vegan hot cocoa mix?
Use dutch cocoa powder for homemade hot cocoa mix. This type of cocoa powder is rich and creamy and has a more chocolatey flavour.
Vegan Hot Cocoa Mix
This recipe is SUPER simple to make! You just mix everything together in a small pot on the stove on medium-high heat until it’s all melted together and you’re done! 🙂
You can also make this recipe in a microwave directly in the mugs by dividing the ingredients between two large mugs and placing them in the microwave on 30 second intervals and mixing in between.
How to make vegan hot chocolate mix
If you’d like to make some vegan hot chocolate mix to have on hand that you can just add some hot water or coconut milk too, you can make some by adding 2 part cocoa powder 1/3 part coconut sugar or maple sugar and a pinch of salt. So for example:
1 cup of Cocoa Powder
1/3 cup Coconut Sugar
Pinch of Salt
- Vanilla bean powder
- Mini vegan marshmallows
Mix all ingredients together and store in a sealed jar.
To make hot chocolate with the mix, add 2 tablespoons of the mix for 1 cup of coconut milk.
Simple Vegan Hot Cocoa Mix Substitutions
- Swap coconut milk for oat milk or almond milk
- Swap maple syrup for coconut sugar, agave or stevia
- Swap dark chocolate for dairy-free milk chocolate
- Swap coconut whipped topping for vegan marshmallows
Hot chocolate Flavors, Toppings, and Serving ideas
- Add in some peppermint extract for a peppermint hot chocolate
- Add in 1 tsp of pumpkin spice for a pumpkin spice hot chocolate
- Add in a spoon of your favourite liquor
- Try adding some adaptogens like ashwagandha or reishi to relax the nervous system
- Add a pinch of cayenne for a spicy hot chocolate
Tips for perfect Vegan Hot Cocoa
- The taste of the hot chocolate will depend on the quality of ingredients you use, so opt for good quality coconut milk, chocolate and cocoa powder!
- If you want a really rich and creamy hot chocolate, use full-fat coconut milk
- Taste the hot chocolate mixture before pouring it into the mugs and adjust anything if needed. You may like your hot chocolate a little more sweet, or may even like a little more vanilla!
How can I thicken hot chocolate without milk?
There are a few ways you can thicken hot chocolate. One method is to use a frother to froth half of the milk in the recipe and add it to the hot chocolate. Another option is to add one teaspoon of cornstarch to the hot chocolate. You need to mix the cornstarch with the coconut milk while it’s cold, otherwise if you add cornstarch to a hot liquid it will turn clumpy.
More warm drinks to try
If you tried this Vegan Hot Chocolate or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Vegan Hot Chocolate
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Drink
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
This vegan hot chocolate is rich, creamy and is ready in just 10 minutes!
- 1 1/2 cups light coconut milk
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 oz 70% dark chocolate (I use Lindt 70% dark chocolate)
- 2–3 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt (very tiny pinch!)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Whipped topping and chocolate to top
- Add the coconut milk, cocoa powder, dark chocolate, maple syrup, salt and vanilla to a small pot on medium-high heat, whisking constantly until the chocolate is all melted and the mixture is hot.
- Pour the hot chocolate between two mugs and top with coconut whipped cream and more chocolate.
The taste of the hot chocolate will depend on the quality of ingredients you use, so opt for good quality coconut milk, chocolate and cocoa powder!
If you want a really rich and creamy hot chocolate, use full-fat coconut milk
Taste the hot chocolate mixture before pouring it into the mugs and adjust anything if needed. You may like your hot chocolate a little more sweet, or may even like a little more vanilla!
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 12g
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: dairy-free hot chocolate, vegan hot chocolate, vegan hot chocolate mix
thank you for this lightened version, or at least the ingredient swaps like maple syrup for refined sugar, and most especially making sure it all works together, I usually have to try a few times to make these kinds of ingredients work together, so much appreciated!
Oh my the most guiltless decadent treat. So Easy with ingredients from pantry! Thank You for sharing
Your welcome Lynda! So perfect for the cold weather 🙂