Quinoa Fried Rice
This recipe for Quinoa Fried Rice is a take on a traditional fried rice recipe that is made with quinoa instead of rice. This recipe comes together in 20 minutes and is perfect for a vegetarian and gluten-free weeknight meal.
Easy vegan Quinoa Fried Rice
I’m a big fan of making fried rice for easy weeknight dinners when I want a simple one-pan recipe that is comforting and filling. I’m also a big fan of cooking with quinoa for all of its amazing health benefits.
While I do love a traditional fried rice recipe that is made with actual rice, this quinoa fried “rice” has all the delicious flavours you love in fried rice but with a little more protein and fibre than rice.
The quinoa also gives this recipe a delicious texture and taste (if you like the taste of quinoa) and can also easily be prepared ahead of time.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy dinner. This recipe comes together in just 20 minutes for a quick and easy meal. (Assuming you prepared the quinoa ahead of time.)
- Customizable. This recipe is easy to customize any way you like! Try it with any of your favourite vegetables or try adding some of your favourite protein.
- Vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free. When you want a healthy veggie-packed meal, look no further!
Quinoa Fried Rice ingredients
- Quinoa: this recipe calls for 2 cups of cooked quinoa. I recommend using white quinoa in this recipe as it has a fluffier texture than red or black quinoa.
- Green onions/scallions: you can substitute a yellow cooking onion, however, if you can get green onions they definitely will taste better!
- Garlic: fresh garlic only, please.
- Carrot: this is a traditional vegetable used in fried rice.
- Bell pepper: I use a red bell pepper but any colour bell pepper will work.
- Broccoli: you could also substitute with cauliflower.
- Edamame: shelled edamame beans.
- Tamari: or soy sauce
- Sesame oil: just a touch for some sesame flavour!
How to make Quinoa Fried Rice
Heat the oil in a large pan on medium heat then add the green onions and garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes. Then add the remaining vegetables and saute for another 3-4 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Add the cooked quinoa, tamari and sesame oil to the pan and mix together to combine. Then remove from the heat and serve!
This Quinoa Fried Rice recipe is very easy to customize so feel free to add or remove any ingredients! Here are some suggestions on ways you can customize it.
Make it quinoa egg fried rice: Before adding the vegetables to the pan, crack two eggs into the pan and gently scramble with a wooden spatula. Then add the vegetables and continue with the recipe.
Add tofu or any other protein: cook up some tofu or your favourite protein and add it chopped up to the fried rice.
Swap out the veggies: try making this quinoa fried rice with some bok choy, Chinese broccoli, cauliflower florets, snow peas, snap peas, chickpeas or any other vegetables you like!
How to store and reheat
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in a pan on the stovetop or in the microwave. Quinoa fried rice should not be frozen. (Freezing this recipe will cause it to become a bit mushy when you defrost it, so I don’t recommend it.)
Tips for making Quinoa Fried Rice
- Let the quinoa cool. It’s important to make sure the quinoa is cooled to room temperature before using it in the stir-fry, otherwise, it can become soft and sticky. (You can also use day-old quinoa from the fridge for this recipe.)
- Cut the vegetables into small pieces. This will allow the vegetables to cook up quickly and will make it so you have some bites of vegetables in every bite.
- Adjust seasoning as needed. Depending on the brands of tamari and sesame oil you use, you may find you need slightly more seasoning. If this is the case simply add more!
- For an extra tasty recipe, cook the quinoa in vegetable broth. This is completely optional but will infuse the quinoa with more flavour and make for an even tastier dish.
More quinoa recipes to try
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Quinoa Chickpea Salad
- Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- One Pan Mexican Quinoa
- Quinoa Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
If you tried this Quinoa Fried Rice or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Tiktok and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Quinoa Fried Rice
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Stir-fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Diet: Vegetarian
Quinoa fried rice is delicious and perfect for a weeknight meal!
- 2 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup edamame beans, cooked
- 2–3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet on medium heat, then add the green onions and garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Next add the carrot, red bell pepper, broccoli and edamame beans and sautee for another 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the quinoa, tamari and sesame oil and salt and pepper and mix together to combine then remove from heat and serve.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Make sure to use cooled quinoa for best results.
Chop the vegetables into small pieces so they cook quickly and evenly.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: quinoa fried rice, vegan quinoa fried rice, fried rice with quinoa
Looking forward to trying it out…is the sesame oil plain or toasted kind ?