Indulgent & Simple Vegan French Toast
This Vegan French Toast is so easy to make, you won’t believe there’s no eggs or dairy in it! It’s crispy, flavoured with cinnamon, and can be made in 15 minutes!
An easy vegan french toast recipe anyone can make!
This Vegan French Toast is one of those simple recipes that feels like an upscale indulgent breakfast.
This recipe is healthy, and can be made with any type of crusty bread you love! It also contains no banana and is made with flax seeds as an egg replacement.
Vegan French Toast Ingredients
- Almond milk: this is used instead of regular milk for french toast. You can substitute with any type of plant-based milk.
- Tahini: the tahini adds some richness and creaminess to the french toast. You want to add this, trust me!
- Flax seeds: make sure to use ground flax seeds. This is what will replace the egg in traditional french toast.
- Vanilla: to add flavour. I recommend using real vanilla extract.
- Cinnamon: This is optional but adds great flavour.
- Salt: just a pinch of salt helps to balance out the taste of the french toast and give it that sweet and salty flavour.
- Maple syrup: you can’t have french toast without maple syrup! This is added to the liquid mixture for some sweetness.
- Coconut oil: to coat the pan for frying. You can also use vegan butter.
- Bread: I recommend using a delicious crusty bread or sourdough bread, but any kind of bread you love will work.
What kind of bread is best for french toast?
French toast comes out best when made with any type of denser crusty bread. A soft sandwich bread won’t work well for this recipe, since it would just become too soggy and not crisp up as nicely.
Any old fashion country bread, Kamut bread, or multigrain loaf will work well.
You can also use stale bread to make this french toast recipe. If you have some leftover bread that is a little bit dry, it’s perfect for using in french toast!
How to Make the Best Vegan French Toast
Whisk your wet ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined.
Dunk your slice of bread in the liquid mixture, and let it sit for 1-2 minutes on each side to soak up the liquid.
Add some coconut oil to a non-stick pan, and cook the french toast in the pan on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side until crispy.
Serve up your french toast with some berries, maple syrup or whatever you like!
Easy Vegan French Toast FAQs
Vegan french toast is made by using ground flax seeds to replace the eggs in a traditional french toast. This helps to thicken the mixture that the french toast is dipped into.
You can use any plant-based milk substitute instead of milk. Almond milk, coconut milk and soy milk all work.
Vegan butter or coconut oil are the best substitutes for butter in french toast.
Tips for Healthy Vegan French Toast
- Use a thick cut crusty bread or a slightly stale bread. This will hold up better and won’t fall apart.
- Use a non-stick pan to cook the french toast to make sure none of the coating sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook on medium heat and don’t peek! Give your French toast a good 3-4 minutes before lifting it to see if it’s nice and golden brown.
- You can prepare the liquid mixture in advance, but I recommend making the french toast fresh for best results.
More vegan breakfast recipes to tryPrint
Healthy Vegan French Toast
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: American
Enjoy this Vegan French Toast for a delicious breakfast in 20 minutes!
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp tahini (can sub almond butter or cashew butter)
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil for frying
- 4 slices thick crusty bread (I use Kamut bread, can sub gluten-free if needed.)
- Blend all the ingredients except the coconut oil and bread together in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl and dunk your slices of bread into the mixture, letting sit for 1-2 minutes on each side to absorb the liquid.
- Heat the coconut oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat
- Remove the bread from the liquid, shaking off any excess liquid then place the bread in the pan, letting cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Serve with berries, coconut yogurt and maple syrup.
Thick crusty bread or stale bread work best to make this recipe.
Use a non-stick pan to make this french toast to prevent the toast from sticking.
Cook the toast on medium heat rather than high heat so it doesn’t burn, and don’t peek!
Let it cook for a good 3 minutes on the first side before checking it.
- Serving Size: 1/2 the recipe
- Calories: 375
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 100mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: vegan french toast recipe, french toast
If you tried this Vegan French Toast or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!
I used this with sourdough bread, and it was AH-mazing. I had a ton of leftovers, and they kept well if just reheated in a toaster.
Hi Halley, SO happy you liked the recipe! I’m sure it was great with sourdough bread! And great to know about storing them!
French toast is one of my FAVORITES!! Cannot wait to try this version 🙂 Beautiful as always, Jess!
Thanks so much Britt!! Enjoy! xo
This French toast looks amazing Jess!! I haven’t had French toast in soooo long and seeing this is making me crave it so bad now! Love the beautiful photography 😀