Vegan Taco Pasta
This Vegan Taco Pasta comes together in just 20 minutes and can be made with any type of pasta you like. It’s a perfect recipe for a healthy weeknight dinner and tastes just like a delicious taco!
Today we’re doing pasta. But not just any pasta, TACO pasta.
I love making tacos during the week for dinner, (especially for taco Tuesday) but sometimes tacos require a lot of different ingredients that you may not have on hand.
This Vegan Taco Pasta is a great recipe to make on those “lazy nights” when you don’t want to fuss around much with dinner. It can be made with any pasta you like (so you can make this recipe gluten-free if needed, or even grain-free with spaghetti squash)
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This pasta comes together in just 20 minutes and is perfect to make for busy weeknights. Leftovers of this recipe store great in the fridge.
- It’s a great high-protein vegan recipe that everyone will love! (yes, even meat eaters.)
- This recipe is versatile and can be made with any pasta you love or any mix-ins you love. (like corn, beans and fresh tomatoes.)
Ingredients used in Vegan Taco Pasta
- Shell pasta: This shape of pasta works great in this recipe to hold onto the sauce. Other shapes that would work well are penne or bow ties.
- Vegan ground meat: this recipe uses a soy-based veggie ground, NOT a “raw” plant-based meat product like beyond meat. You can technically use this type of meat, just make sure to cook it well and give it time to brown on each side.
- Spices: Cumin, chilli powder and chilli flakes are used to get that taco flavour.
- Salsa: Any type of salsa you love will work. If you like a chunkier salsa, you can use that!
- Pasta water: the magical ingredient! Pasta water helps to thicken the sauce and make it creamy
How to make Vegan Taco Pasta
Brown the onions and garlic in a pan then add the vegan ground meat and continue to brown. Then season with spices and salsa and mix together. Add in the pasta and pasta water and continue to mix until everything is evenly coated.
Taste and adjust any seasoning if needed. If you like it spicy add some more chilli flakes. Serve with chopped cilantro.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Salt the pasta water so it’s salty like the ocean. This will infuse the pasta with flavour and make a much more flavourful final dish.
- Only cook the pasta to al dente. The pasta will continue to cook slightly in the pan when you mix it with the rest of the ingredients.
- If you’d like to add in any mix-ins like corn, beans or tomatoes add them in after browning the meat and let them cook for a couple of minutes before adding the salsa.
More Pasta recipes to try
- Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- Vegan Lemon Asparagus Pasta
If you tried this Vegan Taco Pasta or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!
This Vegan Taco Pasta is easy to make and perfect for a healthy weeknight dinner!
- 8oz shell pasta (gluten-free pasta, chickpea pasta, or any type of pasta you like!)
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 200 grams of vegan ground meat (I use Yves Veggi Grounds)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 cup salsa
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro to top
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan then add the onion and garlic, cooking on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes until the onions are soft and start to brown.
- Next add in the vegan ground meat and let brown on each side for 2 minutes, (If needed, add in another splash of olive oil if your pan is dry ) then season with chili powder, cumin and chili flakes and salsa. Mix everything together.
- Reduce the heat to medium then add in the psata and pasta mixing eveything together until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and top with freshly chopped cilantro.
so it’s salty like the ocean. This will infuse the pasta with flavour and make a much more flavourful final dish. Only cook the pasta to al dente. The pasta will continue to cook slightly in the pan when you mix it with the rest of the ingredients. If you’d like to add in any mix-ins like corn, beans or tomatoes add them in after browning the meat and let them cook for a couple of minutes before adding the salsa.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 3g
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 13g
Keywords: Mexican pasta, Vegan pasta