This homemade vegan Nutella is the best healthy nutella alternative made with all natural ingredients. It’s also dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo, and refined-sugar free!
With all the healthy “detox” foods this January, I figured it’s time to share something a little more on the sweet side.
Don’t get me wrong, this homemade vegan nutella is still totally healthy! But it can be enjoyed as a treat or for dessert.
Nutella is one of those treats I remember having when I was younger that I especially loved on crepes with sliced bananas. I find it funny now when I see nutella advertised as a healthy breakfast option, when in reality it’s loaded with sugar and processed artificial ingredients.
If you’re intersted in an easy and healthy alternative to the nutella you’d buy in the store, this homemade vegan Nutella recipe will be your new best friend! Seriously though, it’s loaded with chocolate and hazelnut flavour and is uber creamy. One of my favourite things about this recipe is that it uses real chocolate. You can use cocoa powder instead, but the chocolate adds such an amazingly rich and creamy quality to this spread.
After making this recipe, I immediately cut up a banana and spread this on top, and then topped it off with some chia seeds. (Kind of like a banana Nutella crepe, right?) Now I’m dreaming of making some healthy banana Nutella or as or a delicious Nutella tart like this one!
There are so many unhealthy processed foods that I used to love when I was younger. And while I of course still treat myself to them sometimes, I like to have healthy alternatives to make at home. (Like making healthy vegan Twix bars!)
One thing to note: because this recipe uses all fresh ingredients with no preservatives, it will only store well in the fridge for about a week. Though in my house, it never lasts that long anyway! I usually make a batch of this and it gets eaten up within a couple days.
Some ways we like to enjoy this homemade vegan nutella in my home:
- Spread on toast
- On pancakes, waffles or in crepes
- In smoothies (with bananas and almond milk)
- Spread as frosting on top of brownies
I could keep going. This nutella is pretty much amazing on everything.
I used regular raw hazelnuts for this recipe, but if you can find shelled hazelnuts, you can use those instead and save a step having to get the shells off!
Some other favourite chocolatey treats on the blog:
- Grain-free nutella stuffed peanut butter cookies
- Chocolate chunk tahini oatmeal cookies
- Superfood dark chocolate bark
The BEST EVER homemade vegan Nutella with all natural ingredients. Yum!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes, or until lightly colored.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Place the hazelnuts in the center of a kitchen hand towel and close all 4 edges to make a pouch. Use your hands to rub the hazelnuts in the towel to remove the skins. (This will be much quicker than doing them all individually by hand!)
- Once the skins are removed, place the hazelnuts in a high-speed blender (I use this one) or food processor until they are finely ground. (Should look like a flour)
- Next melt the dark chocolate in a bowl with the coconut milk, maple syrup, and salt. (either by microwave for 1-2 minutes, or using a double broiler method)
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the blender with the hazelnuts and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Store in a jar in the fridge.
Keeps in the fridge for one week
You can use cocoa powder instead of dark chocolate. (You may need to add more maple syrup though if it’s not sweet enough!)
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 51
- Sugar: 2.6g
- Fat: 3.8g
Keywords: Vegan nutella, healthy chocolate spread
This post contains affiliate links. I only recommend products I know, trust and love!