Raw Vegan Carrot Cake
This Raw Vegan Carrot Cake is made with healthy ingredients, and comes together in a food processor. The carrot cake base is sticky and sweet and packed with delicious textures, topped with a creamy coconut frosting!
What is a raw cake?
A raw cake is a no-bake cake that is free from gluten, dairy, eggs and refined sugars. These cakes are generally made with a mix of nuts, nut flours and dried fruits, and alternative sweeteners to sugar such asand agave nectar!
Even though this cake is made with healthy ingredients, it is still filled with fats, (natural) sugars and carbs.
Ingredients in this recipe
- Walnuts: A classic ingredient in any carrot cake, walnuts are the base of the raw carrot cake.
- Coconut (shredded, milk, and oil): This recipe uses shredded coconut in the cake, and and in the frosting! It offers a natural sweetness, as well as a source of healthy fats.
- : helps to bind the carrot cake together. However, you can substitute this with more walnuts if needed.
- Spices (Cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg): These three spices will help give this dessert that classic carrot cake flavour!
- Orange zest: Optional, but recommended to brighten up the sweet flavours.
- Vanilla: Used both in the cake and frosting to warm up the flavours.
- Medjool dates: Make sure to use medjool dates, as you want them to be sticky to hold the base together!
- Carrots: It wouldn’t be a carrot cake without them!
- Cashews: These make up the base of the frosting. Use raw unsalted cashews for the best flavour and texture.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice gives the frosting that slightly tart flavour like cream cheese.
- : is a natural sweetener that will sweeten the frosting.
How to make this Raw Carrot Cake
Mix the walnuts, coconut,, spices, orange zest and vanilla together in a food processor until crumbly. Then, add the Medjool dates and puree them together. The mixture should be sticky when you press it between your fingers!
Next, add the carrots and pulse just to combine. Then, add the mixture to an 8×8 inch pan lined with parchment paper. Place in the fridge to set.
To make the frosting, blend the cashews,, , lemon juice, and salt together until smooth and creamy. Pour the mixture over the carrot cake, and place the pan in the fridge for 4 hours to set.
Optionally top your bars off with walnuts, orange zest, shredded coconut or whatever you like!
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use Medjool dates for best results. If your dates are a bit dry, soak them in hot water for 5 minutes to rehydrate them, and then drain them.
- Don’t overprocess the mixture. You want it to be crumbly in the food processor, but not form into a ball.
- Make sure to use full-fat coconut cream. You just want to scoop the creamy part off the top of the can! Leave the water behind.
- If your frosting seems grainy, keep blending! It can take a good 5 minutes for the cashew cream to become rich and creamy.
More raw desserts to try
If you tried this Raw Vegan Carrot Cake or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
This Raw Vegan Carrot Cake is made with healthy ingredients and requires no baking!
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp orange zest (or lemon zest)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pitted medjool dates
- 1 cup shredded carrots
Cashew cream cheese frosting
- Add the walnuts, shredded coconut, almond flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, orange zest and vanilla extract to a food processor and pulse until crumbly.
- Then add the the dates and continue to pulse until the mixture looks like a crumbly dough. (It should feel sticky when you press it between your fingers.)
- Add the carrots and pulse just to mix the carrots in.
- Line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper then scoop the carrot cake dough into the pan spreading it out evenly. Place in the fridge to set.
- Blend all the cashew cream cheese frosting ingredients together in a food processor or high-speed blender, scraping down the sides as needed until the mixture is smooth and creamy. (This may take 4-5 minutes.)
- Pour the mixture into the pan spreading out evenly, then place in the fridge to set for 4 hours.
- Cut into squares and serve.
. If your dates are a bit dry, soak them in hot water for 5 minutes then drain them to rehydrate them.
Don’t overprocess the mixture. You want it to be crumbly in the food processor, but not form into a ball.
If you’re mixture isn’t binding together, Add a few more dates.
Make sure to use full-fat coconut cream. You just want to scoop the creamy part off the top of the can.
If your frosting seems grainy, keep blending! It can take a good 5 minutes for the cashew cream to become rich and creamy.
- Serving Size: 1/18th of recipe
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 15g
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: raw carrot cake, vegan carrot cake, healthy carrot cake