These vegan coffee cake streusel muffins are like having your very own mini coffee cakes! They’re fluffy in texture and made with wholesome ingredients like whole-grain spelt flour, coconut sugar
I don’t think theres any snack I love to enjoy more as an afternoon treat than muffins. Theres something about having a muffin that just feels special, like it’s your very own individual cake, while still (generally) remaining on the healthier side than a cupcake.
I’ve been really enjoying having an afternoon cup of tea or coffee lately while I sit down with my laptop to get some work done. My afternoon slump usually happens on the dot at 3:00pm, which means 3 o’ clock is ALWAYS snack time in my kitchen. So for these moments, I always like to have some sort of healthy baked goods around that I can grab to enjoy with my warm drink.
And these are just any plain ol’ muffins guys. These are vegan coffee cake streusel muffins. Yup. These muffins have it all. Fluffy & light texture, vanilla and cinnamon flavour, and a crumbly topping that is to die for!
A few notes on this recipe:
These vegan coffee cake streusel muffins start with a base of whole-grain spelt flour. I love spelt flour for its versatility. It’s a great alternative to using regular whole wheat flour and is actually lighter and softer in texture, without too much of that whole wheat flavour. You can also just use regular flour in the muffins, whole wheat flour, gluten-free flour blend, or a combo of these!
If you’re looking for a less sweet muffin, cut the sugar from 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup. You can also sub out half the oil with apple sauce if you’re looking to make a lower fat version of these. Though I personally prefer them with oil.
Make sure to use a good quality muffin liner on these, or to spray your muffin liner to prevent these muffins from sticking!
These vegan coffee cake streusel muffins are:
- Made with wholesome ingredients
- Make for a perfect snack with an afternoon cup of coffee or tea!
Store these muffins in a container on your countertop for up to a few days. Make sure to keep any leftovers covered so they don’t dry out!Print
These vegan coffee cake streusel muffins are the perfect snack to enjoy with an afternoon cup of coffee or tea!
- 1 3/4 cup whole grain spelt flour (can sub regular flour, gluten-free flour…etc.)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (can sub cane sugar)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted (can sub vegan butter)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg ( 1 tbsp ground flax mixed in 3 tbsp of water, let sit for 5 minutes to gel)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin pan with paper liners
- Mix the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the almond milk, oil, vanilla extract and flax egg together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until combined.
- To make the streusel topping, using your hands or a fork mix the topping ingredients together until crumby
- Sprinkle the topping onto the muffins.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes until golden brown, or a toothpick comes out clean.
Feel free to add any chopped walnuts or chocolate chips to these muffins.
If you are using a gluten-free flour blend, I’d recommend adding 1/2 tsp xantham gum to the recipe as well.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 267
- Sugar: 22g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: vegan muffin recipes, healthy coffee cake recipe