Gluten-Free Lemon Bars
These Gluten-Free Lemon Bars are made with an almond cookie crust and topped off with an easy to make super lemony topping! These bars are perfect for a fresh summer dessert.
Lemon bars with an almond flour crust
This recipe for Gluten-Free Lemon Bars is are creamy, tart and has just the right amount of sweetness. This recipe is easy to prepare and makes 12 large bars or 16 smaller bars.
Keep in mind when preparing this recipe that the bars will need to set in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours for the topping to set. So if you’re planning on serving this recipe as a dessert, make sure you leave yourself enough time.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This recipe is easy to throw together and doesn’t require any fancy equipment (just a couple of bowls and an 8×8 inch pan!)
- These bars are gluten-free and healthier than your average lemon bar
- If you’re a fan of lemons, this is the ultimate lemony dessert!
Ingredients you’ll need
The ingredients in these lemon bars are simple and can be substituted with a variety of ingredients if needed
- Almond flour: this makes up the base of the crust.
- Cornstarch: this is used both in the crust and in the lemon topping. For the topping, this helps to firm it up and hold its shape.
- Butter: can also sub coconut oil.
- Honey: to sweeten the crust and help it stick together.
- Vanilla: to flavour the crust.
- Salt: to balance the flavour of the crust.
- Sugar: for the topping. Plain sugar works best.
- Lemon juice: from freshly squeezed lemons! Don’t use bottled!
- Eggs: To make the topping. No replacement for this.
- Coconut milk: you can also use cream
- Lemon zest: for extra lemon flavour!
How to make these lemon bars
Start by preparing the crust. Simply mix all the crust ingredients together until you have a dough that looks like this. Then bake it for 8-10 minutes in an 8×8 inch pan.
While the crust bakes, prepare the topping by mixing the topping ingredients together in a bowl.
Pour the topping onto the crust then place back in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes until the topping is set. (Sometimes little bubbles can form on top, don’t worry, this doesn’t change the flavour or texture of the bars!
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use freshly squeezed lemons. please DO NOT use bottled lemon juice! Fresh lemon juice makes all the difference for a delicious lemon bar.
- Store these bars in the fridge. It’s best to eat these within 48 of baking them, otherwise, the crust can start to get a bit soggy. (These are really best enjoyed the same day you make them!)
- Top these bars with powdered sugar for a touch of extra sweetness!
More gluten-free desserts to try
If you tried these Gluten-Free Lemon Bars or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
These Gluten-Free Lemon Bars are made with an almond cookie crust and topped off with a sweet but tart lemony topping!
- Mix the almond crust ingredients together in a bowl, then evenly spread the crust in an 8×8 inch pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 8-10 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, prepare the lemon topping by whisking the topping ingredients together in a bowl until smooth.
- Remove the crust from the oven and pour the topping over the crust while it is still hot.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F and bake for 20-25 minutes. The edges should be set but the bars should still be a bit jiggly in the center.
- Let cool on the countertop, then place in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours until set.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
. please DO NOT use bottled lemon juice! Fresh lemon juice makes all the difference for a delicious lemon bar.
Store these bars in the fridge. It’s best to eat these within 48 of baking them, otherwise, the crust can start to get a bit soggy. (These are really best enjoyed the same day you make them!)
Top these bars with powdered sugar for a touch of extra sweetness!
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 15g
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: healthy lemon bars, gluten-free lemon bars, healthy lemon squares