No-Bake Chocolate Macaroons
These no-bake chocolate macaroons are healthy and only take 15 minutes to make. They are naturally gluten-free and grain-free and can be made vegan if needed!
Chocolate coconut macaroons
Macaroons are a simple coconut-based cookies that are delicious and generally gluten-free and grain-free.
Macaroons are often baked and use egg whites as a binder, but this recipe is no-bake and almost completely raw (except for the chocolate base!). Since these are no-bake macaroons, they do need to be stored in the fridge. So just keep that in mind.
This recipe is similar to my macaroon energy balls but is a more traditional-style chocolate macaroon.
Are coconut macaroons healthy for you?
This recipe for No-Bake Chocolate Macaroons is relatively healthy. It’s made with all-natural ingredients and sweetened with honey. (Many macaroon recipes are made with sweetened shredded coconut and even more sugar.)
But remember that coconut is quite high in calories and fat, so if you’re watching your calorie intake it’s best to stick with just 1-2 macaroons for a serving.
Ingredients you’ll need
Shredded coconut: I use medium-fine unsweetened shredded coconut. I definitely recommend sticking with unsweetened coconut for this recipe.
Cocoa powder: a good quality cococa powder will give you the best results!
Honey: you can substitute agave or brown rice syrup if needed (for a vegan-friendly option.)
Coconut milk: full-fat from a can.
Coconut oil: you want to make sure to use coconut oil because it’s solid at room temperature. This well help the macaroons set.
Dark chocolate: for the bottom coating.
How to make this recipe
Start by mixing the shredded coconut, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt together in a bowl. Then add in all the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
Use a cookie scoop to scoop even balls of the macaroon dough onto a baking sheet. Let the cookies firm up in the freezer before dipping them into the chocolate.
Once the cookies are firm dip the bottom of each cookie into a bowl of melted dark chocolate.
Tips for making this recipe perfectly
- Use fine or medium shredded coconut for best results. Don’t use coconut flour or coconut flakes.
- If your macaroon dough feels too dry, add an extra tablespoon of coconut milk.
- Press the macaroon dough into the cookie scoop when you are forming the macaroon cookies so the dough sticks together.
Store these No Bake Chocolate Macaroons in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
These macaroons freeze well! You can also store these in the freezer for up to 3 months. They even taste great straight out of the freezer.
More no-bake recipes to try
If you tried these No-Bake Chocolate Macaroons or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
These no bake chocolate macaroons are healthy and only take 15 minutes to make. They are naturally gluten-free and grain-free and can be made vegan if needed!
- Mix the shredded coconut, cocoa powder and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the honey, coconut milk, coconut oil and vanilla extract together, then pour into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Use a cookie scoop and scoop even balls of the macaroons onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place the macaroons in the freezer for 15 minutes to set.
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or stovetop, then dip each bottom of the macaroon in the melted chocolate. Place each dipped macaroon onto a cooling rack over the baking sheet to let any excess chocolate drip off.
- Place the cooling rack of macaroons into the fridge for 15-20 minutes until the chocolate is set.
- Store in the fridge.
Use fine or medium shredded coconut for best results. Don’t use coconut flour or coconut flakes.
If your macaroon dough feels too dry, add an extra tablespoon of coconut milk.
Press the macaroon dough into the cookie scoop when you are forming the macaroon cookies so the dough sticks together.
- Serving Size: 1 macaroon
- Calories: 230
- Sugar: 10g
- Fat: 17g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: healthy chocolate macaroons, raw macaroons, vegan macaroons, no bake macaroons