These Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Donuts are a delicious dessert loaded with lemony flavour, and baked to perfection. They’re topped with a sweet lemon poppy seed glaze for a healthy and gluten-free donut!
What better way to kick off a new week than with donuts? And not just any donuts…gluten-free and vegan lemon poppy seed donuts.
Yup. Pretty much the best possible way to kick off a Monday, right?
It’s no secret that I’m a total sucker for lemon poppyseed. We’ve got Lemon Poppyseed Bliss Balls, Healthy Lemon Poppyseed Muffins, and Lemon Poppyseed Spelt Pancakes already hiding on the blog, so naturally, donuts are the next logical step!
I’m getting SO excited for creating recipes for this time of year, because June means all sorts of LOCAL fresh produce! From berries to citrus fruits, so many fresh things are coming to the blog!
One of my favourite spring flavour combinations is lemon and poppy seeds. Lemon is so vibrant and fresh – to me, it’s just one of those ingredients that feels like spring.
A few notes on these vegan lemon poppy seed donuts
These vegan lemon poppy seed donuts are filled with vibrant lemon flavour and of course, plenty of poppy seeds!
For a donut, they’re also reasonably healthy. These donuts are low in fat, baked in a donut pan instead of deep-fried, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
Like any good donut, they still have sugar in them (you’re welcome), but they’re also naturally sweetened with coconut oil in the donut recipe. The glaze is filled with powdered sugar and lemon juice, so you don’t lose the deliciously tangy lemon flavour!
If you’re looking to really reduce your sugar intake, you can replace the cane sugar in the recipe with stevia or xylitol. You can also substitute regular flour for the gluten-free flour blend if you prefer.
These donuts are also delicious without the icing, which will make them even healthier. (Though for myself, icing is one of the best parts of eating a donut!)
These donuts store well in an air tight container for a couple of days, though they’re best enjoyed right away so they don’t dry out!
More donut recipes to try
If you tried these Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Donuts or any other recipe on the blog let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for even more deliciousness!Print
Say hello to your new favourite treat! These baked donuts are loaded with lemon and poppy seed flavour and baked to perfection!
Recipe adapted from it doesn’t taste like chicken
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 1/3 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1–2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, cane sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, lemon zest and poppy seeds.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the almond milk, lemon juice, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into a piping bag, or a large ziplock bag and cut a hole in the corner.
- Spray your donut pan with some cooking spray, and then pipe the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- To make the icing, mix the powdered sugar, almond milk, lemon juice, vanilla, lemon zest and poppy seeds together until combined.
- Once the donuts are cooled, dip them into the icing. Let sit for 30 minutes for the icing to set.
I use this donut pan to make this recipe
Some gluten-free flours don’t have xantham gum already added to them, which will help the donuts rise. If your blend doesn’t have it, add 1/4 tsp xantham gum to the recipe.
- Serving Size: 1 donut
- Calories: 137
- Sugar: 16g
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 0.6g
Keywords: baked donuts, vegan donut, Vegan lemon poppy seed donuts
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!