This vegan breakfast burrito is loaded with scrambled tofu, sweet potato and avocado for a healthy and flavourful breakfast you can enjoy at home or on the go!
Usually, my breakfasts consist of green smoothies, chia pudding or steel cut oats, but every once in a while I like to hop on the savoury breakfast bandwagon and I wake up craving something hearty & salty.
I think once fall rolls around I suddenly find myself craving more of a filling and
These vegan breakfast burritos are just that. A hearty and substantial breakfast packed with the perfect balance of carbs, protein and healthy fats.
I’ve tried making a few variations if this recipe before coming up with the best combo. I’ve tried making these with regular potatoes, bean, and lettuce instead of spinach…all of which were good, but the combo in THIS recipe came out the best.
This vegan breakfast burrito starts off with scrambled tofu. This is our “egg” replacement for this recipe. I’ve actually even tricked some people into thinking there were real eggs in here;)
Next, we have some oven roasted sweet potatoes, which pack a ton of flavour and hold up well to the scrambled tofu. I’ve tried using regular potato here instead but settled on sweet potato in the end since regular potatoes don’t really add much
A few notes on this recipe:
If you’re looking for a quick breakfast to put together in the morning, prepare the tofu and sweet potatoes for this recipe the night before. Store them in a container in the fridge and have them ready to go to make the burrito the next morning. You can also prepare these burritos entirely the night before and just toast or grill them in the morning.
I haven’t tried freezing these burritos yet, but I’m confident they will hold up well in the freezer.
I use a large whole-grain tortilla wrap for this recipe, but any type of tortilla you like to use will do just fine! I also like to grill my vegan breakfast burrito in a pan or panini press before eating them. Nothing beats a toasty crispy burrito!
This vegan breakfast burrito is:
- Loaded with protein
- Is perfectly balanced to keep you fuelled for your morning
- Packed with flavour!
If you’re taking your burritos to go make sure to wrap them up tightly so they don’t come apart! Serve these up with your favourite salsa or guacamole on the side.
Here’s to a hearty breakfast! xoPrint
This vegan protein burrito is perfectly balanced and great for on the go!
- 1 block tofu
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp liquid soy seasoning (can sub tamari or soy sauce)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup spinach
- salsa for serving
- Using your hands, crumble the tofu into small pieces until it resembles scrambled eggs. Set aside.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and saute for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the tofu, salt, cumin, turmeric, paprika and soy seasoning, cooking for another 3-4 minutes.
- To prepare the sweet potato, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Scatter the sweet potato cubes on the pan and coat with 1/2 tbsp avocado oil.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Place the spinach, avocado, scrambled tofu and sweet potato into the tortilla wrap and roll it up.
- (Optionally) grill your burrito in a pan or panini press
- Serve with a side of your favourite salsa
I love grilling my burritos for that toasty crunchy wrap! Just add the burritos in the pan you used for the tofu on medium-high heat and cook for 1 minute on each side.
Add the salsa or any other sauce you love directly into these burritos.
- Serving Size: 1 burrito
- Calories: 159
- Sugar: 3g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: vegan burrito recipe, healthy break burritos
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!