Soft, moist, tender and all around DELICIOUS! This is the only cornbread recipe you’ll ever need!
- 1 cup white Spelt flour (or gluten-free flour or regular flour)
- 1 cup medium ground cornmeal
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax seeds mixed in 6 tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk
- Fresh corn
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease an 8 inch cast iron skillet with coconut oil.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, coconut sugar, salt and baking powder together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flax eggs, coconut oil and almond milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a spatula just until combined. Do not overmix!
- Let the batter sit and rest for 10 minutes.
- Pour the batter in the skillet and bake for 20-25, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before serving.
To make a flax egg, simply mix the flax and water together. Let sit and gel for 5 minutes.
If you have a large cast iron skillet you can double this recipe to fit the pan.
This recipe will also work well in an 8×8 inch baking pan.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 11g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: vegan cornbread, how to make cornbread not crumble